St. Michael and All Angels Anglican Church – Strategic Directions for 2009/2010
Posted October, 2009
Parish Council has spent considerable time over the last several months in a series of workshops and meetings, to determine the strengths, weaknesses and values which best describe St. Michael and All Angels. That exercise resulted in us developing strategic areas for the parish to focus on, along with some core values which we must continuously strive to include in executing our strategy.
The four strategic areas are:
- Financial Stewardship Objectives,
- Ministry Development / Growth,
- Time and Talent Stewardship
The values that will drive each of these areas are:
- Accountable: those assigned responsibility are accountable for getting the work done, ensure the plans and results are open and transparent, and that they can answer questions from the Parish.
- Nurturing: The work undertaken will assist with growth of the individual(s) associated with the work and of the Parish.
- Truthful: We will strive to be open and honest with all in our dealings with others and will encourage questions so that others may learn the truth.
- Developing: Our actions are about growth, improvement, betterment of the individual and the Parish as a whole.
- Responsible: We will all take responsibility for the health and well-being of each Parish member, this church and our community in which we worship.
- Sustainable: The impact of our work is long-standing and produces more than it consumes.
- Communicating: All work will be carried out in an atmosphere of openness and our plans will be communicated before being carried out.
Specific measurable objectives for each strategic area follow. It is Council’s intent to develop a tactical implementation plan for all of these objectives so that we can assign, execute and measure our success this year and next and then adjust the objectives based on what we learn while executing these plans.
Financial Stewardship Objectives
- Increase active membership by 10% annually
- Increase opportunities for and number of thank offerings
- Reduce utilities operating costs by 40% within three years
- Maximize use of space to generate $
- Host an annual fundraising event for the Fair Share amount
- Increase, to 100%, annual stewardship participation before Advent
- Increase parish knowledge on the three forms of giving (annual campaign, special campaign, legacy campaign)
- Be able to have frank and open (truthful) discussion about money measured by increased offerings
- Maintain the U2 partnerships by participating in additional events in 2010.
- Develop new partnerships resulting from supporting a new postulant
- Utilize our building to develop minimum 3 new performance venues/partnerships (one already scheduled for St. Patrick Day) in 2010
- Evaluate current and existing partnerships by year end
- Strengthen diocesan partnerships within our geographical area
- Strengthen partnership with Native communities
Ministry Development / Growth Objectives
- Given our size, location and physical building, we are well suited to conducting special events. We plan to hold five events within the community per year.
- Explore the idea of cell groups in the coming year to develop stronger relationships amongst parishioners by running a pilot and evaluating the results.
- Offer our facilities to others as a place to prepare meals/cooking, learn and socialize as a means to increase our profile in the neighborhood.
Time and Talent Stewardship Objectives
- Directly connect with every parishioner to determine gifts, time and talents commitments in 2009.
- Ensure 100% of our parishioners are involved and volunteer in at least one area of the church.
- Celebrate levels of generosity.